Menu Home

Family Day in Manila

This morning was spent with the family. In Manila we are staying with Danil’s mom, gramma, uncle, and brother. You can’t forget the maid, cook, and driver. So we are in a full house. A middle class famly in the Philippines has all of these. Imagine growing up with all of these!

Up to this point Mike, Daniel’s brother, sill had not recieved his luggage from the airport. It was just a matter of getting to the aiport to pick them up. But you have to organize around the drivers schedule. The taxi service isn’t made up of the most honest people.

Today we had planned to go to the mall, grab lunch, get an iPad for Maria, pick up Mikes suitcase at the airport, and end the day with a massage in Fort Bonifacio.

Because we went to sleep so early Mike, Daniel, and I woke up at 3am. Haha. Whoops. So much for being on local time. Dinner was out from the night before. Perfect. We were able to heat it up and have a delicious breakfast. Unfortunately, because we ate none of us were able to go back to sleep, even though we tried so hard. I was able to do some blogging, photo editing, and some video editing. Daniel and Mike did some stuff on the computer.

It was past noon before Maria was ready to go. That is a whole 9 hours after we woke up. Lets just say my inner Carr was freaking out (my family will get that reference). The Carrs, my wonderful grandparents, get ancy when the clock starts rolling for the day and nothing is getting done. I was definitely ancy over being cooped up.

Maira, Daniel, Mike and I went to the mall. Everything is centered around malls in Manila. I am not particularly fond of malls in the US, but they look identical to the ones here in Manila (on the inside, the outside…. not so much). Plus they have every store known to mankind in these things. One thing to note is that they are constanly packed with people. CONSTANTLY! Here I thought it was a third world country. I have drawn the conclusion, or made the assumption, that it is how we used movie theaters for air conditioning for many years.

First stop was to get me flip flops because the backs of my heals were still faw. I was limping all the way to the mall. Done and done. Then it was time for lunch. We were all pretty hungry. I had my first Halo Halo(pictured below) and Sisig from Razon’s. Halo translates to mix. MIx Mix. It is super sweet ice shaves once mixed.


After lunch we headed to the apple store so the boys could buy their mother an iPad. How sweet, right? They do take care of their mama. We spent 2 hours in the apple store picking out the ipad, a case, and setting it up. The clock started approaching 3pm. The boys started to get worried about yet another day of not being able to pick up Mike’s luggage from the airport. The luggage claim department closes at 5pm, and the traffic is so bad that it would take an hour and a half to get there. It was time to get going.

There were some communication problems because Maria forgot her cell phone, and so the orginal driver was not able to pick us up. The boys started to get… fustrated. While waiting for the driver, Daniel and I went and bought coffees for everyone. We walked to this Japanese cafe where they brew indivudual coffees for each customer. It was pretty cool!



The driver picked us up by 3:30. The carride was wonderful. Everyone was a bit on edge. I was happy as a clam because I got my iced coffee. About thirty minutes into the ride, the AC went out. It was miserable to say the least.

We made it on time. We dropped off Mike with the intention that he would meet up with his dad after he picked up his luggage. Daniel, Maria, and I headed to Fort Bonifacio in Global City. I have been hearing great things about this part of town. It took us about an hour to get there and we just missed rush hour. When we arrived in the Fort, we get a text from Mike, asking to be picked up. We were dropped off, and the driver went and picked up MIke. We were able to walk around a bit before our spa appointment. It was wonderful in the Fort. All new buildings and it didnt have the same grundge as Manila.




There were several buildings in the Fort under construction. In San Diego, we have temporary pedestrian walkways built around construction sites. But in the Fort, they did it for the whole street, not just the sidewalk. Very cool.


So I have never gotten a massage before. Never ever. I was always nervous because I am ticklish. I always thought I would end up kicking them, and thats just not nice. But the two hour massage was amazing. I only broke out into laughter 4 times. It cost 1250 PP. High roller here! To translate that into the USD: 1000 PP is equivalnt to $22.50 USD. I will let you do the math on that one.

After the wonderful massage, we met up with Mike. We ate dinner in the Fort at a traditional Filipino restaurant. Then it was off to bed!

Categories: Luzon

Tagged as:

Perriann Hodges

I am not an author. To be quite honest, I always hated English class. I write so I may share my experiences and remember the man I met on a bus who treated me to dinner with his family, paying and booking a hotel only to find out its out of business, fake crying in the Athens airport to get a ticket home, or remember the strangers who looked out for me on a bus. Some live, experience, and are fulfilled by what’s in their backyards. I find there is something truly exhilarating about cramming as many possessions into a bag as possible, only to complain you brought too many. This is my life out of a suitcase, hope you enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: