Menu Home

Adrenaline Rush Like No Other

Anyone who has been keeping up with me/my blog knows that I have some high highs and some low lows.  But nothing has come close to giving me an adrenaline rush like today.  Have you ever had an adrenaline rush so big you thought your heart was going through your chest? I definitely did.

This morning started off normal, well normal-ish.   I was supposed to meet ‘Honey Bee’ for breakfast at 8:30am.  I went to her door to find I just woke her up at 8:30.  We decided to push back the breakfast till 9:30, because she wasn’t packed yet.  She had a rough morning trying to get money from a western union, getting lost to the town center, and being late to the airport.  After I saw her off in a cab, I was off to get breakfast by myself.  I did some walking around town, sketching, and a little getting lost on my own.  I eventually found my way back to the hotel to pack up everything before check out time.  I said goodbye to ‘Mikree’ and ‘Cruise’ as they headed to the next hotel.

Mykonos Architecture

Back to traveling alone.  My hotel gave me a ride down to the port around 2:00pm.  My ferry came around 3:00 to take me from Mykonos to Santorini.  I boarded like normal, found my seat, and began to sleep.  I was in and out of sleep for the whole ride.  I remember vaguely hearing about some engine troubles but I thought nothing of it.  I woke up as the boat was pulling into the dock at Santorini.  It was the first time I looked at my watch.  It was 6:30. 6:30PM!!!! I jumped out of my seat and ran towards the back of the boat.  My flight was leaving at 7:15pm for Rhodes. TIME TO FREAK OUT.

Mykonos…. and I am not carrying trash. Its a crepe togo!

I ran off the boat as soon as I could.  I searched for a cab and only found ONE, filling up with 3 other people.  I gave a weary look. The taxi driver asked where I was going.  I replied, “Airport” with the saddest eyes.  He said, “Airport? Airport? What time is your flight??” I replied “7:15.”  Several guys started talking in Greek around me so quickly I could only tell by body language it was definitely about me.  Then the taxi driver said, “Get in! Get in!”  I squeezed in next to the other people in the cab.  By the time I got in the cab it was 6:40pm and the clock was ticking.  The family from Dubai was very nice to let me share a cab with them.  The cab driver called the airport without me even asking while driving like a bat out of hell.   The entire time my heart was pounding!  The family, were very sweet.  One of the men spoke Greek and English and was reassuring me we would get there in time.  I got to the airport at 7:55pm.  Only 20 minutes until my flight and I hadn’t check my luggage, gone through security, or even gotten in the line that seamed to have over 150 people.

One of the men, carried my luggage to the doors, and offered to pay for my cab ride.   I had already paid but I thanked him for a wonderful gesture as well as carrying my luggage.  I jumped in front of the line begging the ladies at the front, “Im late for my flight, I need help.  It leaves in 15 minutes.”  A woman doing baggage claim offered to help me, while I received dirty looks from pretty much everyone in line.  I paid 30 Euros extra because my bag was over weight, but I didn’t care.  She told me to hurry and drop my luggage off at security and she would meet me once I got through security.  I ran.  I dropped my luggage off to a security officer who didn’t speak any English.  I’m pretty sure I ran through security, pausing only slightly for the metal detector.  I couldn’t find the lady that was helping me, what seamed like moments before.  By now it was 7:06pm and I thought my flight had already boarded.  I started to pace back and forth looking for her.  I asked two security guards where to go, and they had no idea what I was talking about.  Im learning Greek, okay.  I still don’t know how to say, ‘Im late for my flight.  Im freaking out.  Where do I go? Help!”  I got to the gate as soon as they were taking the last boarding calls.  I hopped on the shuttle bus, and it zoomed off to our plane.  As we were pulling up, I could see my suitcase being loaded in the side of the plane.  I knew everything was going to be alright.  I had made it.

Categories: Cyclades, Evia and the Sporades Dodecanese Greece

Tagged as:

Perriann Hodges

I am not an author. To be quite honest, I always hated English class. I write so I may share my experiences and remember the man I met on a bus who treated me to dinner with his family, paying and booking a hotel only to find out its out of business, fake crying in the Athens airport to get a ticket home, or remember the strangers who looked out for me on a bus. Some live, experience, and are fulfilled by what’s in their backyards. I find there is something truly exhilarating about cramming as many possessions into a bag as possible, only to complain you brought too many. This is my life out of a suitcase, hope you enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: